Re: [Evolution] account bugs (Show-stoppers) on installation

On Thu, 2022-02-03 at 23:41 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
I'm surprised your distro didn't ensure that on installation.

Hi,

I'm not surprised, since there are different approaches on how to
maintain computer software.

The OP does use Manjaro.

"Manjaro (/mænˈdʒɑːroʊ/) is a free and open-source Linux distribution
based on the Arch Linux operating system. Manjaro has a focus on user-
friendliness and accessibility, and the system itself is designed to
work fully "straight out of the box" with its variety of pre-installed
software." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manjaro

I'm using Arch Linux and can't comment on Manjaro. As almost all Arch
users I don't want that things work automagically, since I want to
control my Linux. Maybe Manjaro does adopt original Arch Linux packages
that aren't intended to be user-friendly.

"Whereas many GNU/Linux distributions attempt to be more user-friendly,
Arch Linux has always been, and shall always remain user-centric. [...]
It is targeted at the proficient GNU/Linux user, or anyone with a do-it-
yourself attitude who is willing to read the documentation, and solve
their own problems." -
 https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Arch_Linux#User_centrality

So let's take a look at the documentation.

"Using Evolution outside of GNOME

Evolution relies on GNOME Keyring for storing account passwords, so to
use Evolution outside of GNOME, see GNOME/Keyring#Using [1] the keyring
and make sure a password keyring with the name login exists. " -
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/GNOME/Evolution#Using_Evolution_outside_of_GNOME

[1]
"[...] When using a display manager, the keyring works out of the box
for most cases. [...]" -
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/GNOME/Keyring#Using_the_keyring

If not, continue to read the documentation.

To understand that approach, don't think too much like a desktop
computer user without niche needs.

As an example, imagine you need hard real-time capabilities. If so, you
e.g. don't want that each package containing a service, does
automatically start that service.

However, as to understand how dependencies are handled by Arch Linux,
read the documentation and if appropriate, report a missing
dependency https://bugs.archlinux.org/ .

Manjaro probably provides a bug tracker, too. I suspect that Manjaro is
kind of an Arch Linux based Ubuntu alike Linux distro ;) and maybe the
maintainers are using Arch Linux PKGBUILDs and sometimes miss to edit
them, to make the packages "user-friendly".

Regards,
Ralf