Re: [Evolution] Retrieving message - when looking at emails

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralf Mardorf via evolution-list <evolution-list gnome org>
To: evolution-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [Evolution] Retrieving message - when looking at emails
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 10:19:14 +0200

On Fri, 2021-05-28 at 08:34 +0100, Gerard Ceruti wrote:
Evolution :  3.38.1-1
Ubuntu 20.10
Gnome 3.38.3

Hi

When looking at my emails , I get a message in the viewing  panel "
retrieving message XXXXXXXXXX" then after a short time the email is
shown.

Any idea what is causing the slight delay, what can I do to speed up
the display of the emails

Hi,

I'm running Evolution 3.40.1 on an Arch Linux openbox session, used are
healthy SATA 6Gib/s SSDs, 8 GiB RAM on a dual-core 6.60.3 "Intel(R)
Celeron(R) CPU G1840 @ 2.80GHz".

$ uname -a
Linux archlinux 4.19.190-rt79-0.300-cornflower #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Fri, 14 May 2021 16:51:46 +0200 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Stored are way more than 100000 emails, POP accounts only.

Usually "generating message list and retrieving message" shows up very
short, a fraction of a second or a whole second, not annoying at all,
when selecting a folder, just sometimes it stays for an annoying while,
several seconds.

I'm using the GTK3 branch of Claws Mail on the same machine, with the
same POP accounts, but less stored emails. When selecting a folder by
Claws, it usually takes many seconds, if not tens of seconds, very
seldom it's that fast as Evolution is.

Assuming you access off-line IMAP or POP emails, check if the drive is
healthy. If the drive is ok, it's probably just the common Linux
bloatware issue and a computer that has not enough horse power.

Regards,
Ralf

Hi Ralf

I have Intel® Core™ i5-8300H CPU @ 2.30GHz × 8  ,
RAM 32GB,
WD10SPZX - Western Digital Blue 1TB 5400RPM SATA 128MB Cache 2.5-inch Hard Drive[ mounted /home]
HFS128G39TND-N210A - Hynix 128GB Multi-Level Cell (MLC) SATA 6Gb/s M.2 2280 Solid State Drive [mounted /]

I suspect the issue might be a slight lag on the HDD read time.

side question, how do I confirm that I am downloading all the emails, i.e. Evolution is not connecting to the email server ?.