Re: [Evolution] Suddenly Japanese language no longer working

On Sat, 2021-07-17 at 10:48 +0200, Axel Lieber wrote:
Since that update, Japanese appears as gibberish.

        Hi,
I see you use the Flatpak version provided by Flathub.org. I'd check
whether it broke due to the update. You can try to downgrade to the
previous version of the Evolution, though I do not see any relevant
change, thus it can be the org.gnome.Platform or similar low level
library update causing it. The command to downgrade to the 3.40.2
version of the Evolution is:

   $ flatpak update --commit 4ee8baaff571a565c910210db972692df15e659c9750387bdc3d0c366d255345
org.gnome.Evolution

You can get list of possible commits for the Platform libraries with
the following commands (there are two related runtimes):

   $ flatpak remote-info flathub org.gnome.Platform//40 --log | more
   $ flatpak remote-info flathub org.freedesktop.Platform//20.08 --log | more

Then use a similar `flatpak update` command as above to downgrade to
certain commit. Note you might restart the Evolution processes to make
sure the new libraries are used. You can check whether there are any
such running with this command:

   $ ps ax | grep evolution | grep app

(you are interested only in Evolution process from /app/ path). If
there are any running, execute this:

   $ flatpak kill org.gnome.Evolution

I'd verify whether it truly killed the process with the `ps ax`
command, just in case. If not, you might use some harder kills.

This way, you can figure out whether it broke due to the library update
or an Evolution update, and which update did it, if any from the
Flatpak world.

By the way, is only message preview/composition broken, or also the
message list, for cases when the Japanese characters are written in the
Subject?

As it's about the fonts, maybe the fontconfig updated as well, and/or
the needed fonts had been replaced/removed, though I consider the font
disappear unlikely.

        Bye,
        Milan