Re: [Evolution] IMAPx and message body search

On Sat, 2020-07-25 at 13:56 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
[imapx:A] I/O: 'A00015 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS
 ID ENABLE IDLE SORT SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS THREAD=ORDEREDSU
BJECT MULTIAPPEND URL-PARTIAL CATENATE UNSELECT CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-
EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE QRESYNC ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN CONTEXT=SE
ARCH LIST-STATUS SPECIAL-USE BINARY MOVE] Logged in'

Is this an Evolution problem or is it something up with Dovecot - i.e.
is it advertising the correct capabilities that Evolution uses for
offloading the search? Dovecot was upgraded to 2.3.10 from 2.3.9 back
in March (this is on a CentOS 7 system), but I think the problem
started after that.

I access Gmail via IMAP (I don't sync the contents locally) and
searching is almost instantaneous, so that would seem to point to
Dovecot being the problem.

Thanks. You mentioning Gmail reminded me that I still had a number of
other accounts active when I was doing the tests - I think I got the
CAPABILITY strings mixed up.  I turned the others off and this is the
only capability I'm getting now:

[imapx:A] I/O: 'A00002 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS
ID ENABLE IDLE SORT SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS
THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT MULTIAPPEND URL-PARTIAL CATENATE UNSELECT
CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE QRESYNC
ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH LIST-STATUS BINARY MOVE
SNIPPET=FUZZY PREVIEW=FUZZY STATUS=SIZE LITERAL+ NOTIFY SPECIAL-USE]
Logged in'

So what triggers Evo to use server side searches rather than searching
every message individually?

No idea, but maybe compare that set with the capabilities when only the
Gmail IMAP account is enabled.

poc