Re: [Evolution] How can I override the IMAP path?

On Thu, 2020-01-16 at 00:51 +0100, abc abc wrote:
I still see the usual INBOX

        Hi,
if I recall correctly, then the INBOX is a very special folder on an
IMAP server, it's supposed to be always available.

Is there anything else I could try?

I tried it here. When I run Evolution with CAMEL_DEBUG=imapx:io, then I
see that my IMAP server (Dovecot, if it matters) returns:

   [imapx:A] I/O: 'A00003 NAMESPACE'
   [imapx:A] I/O: '* NAMESPACE (("" ".")) NIL NIL
   A00003 OK Namespace completed (0.001 + 0.000 secs).'

which means the empty namespace's directory separator is a dot. It is
also confirmed with a LIST request:

[imapx:A] I/O: 'A00009 LIST "" "*" RETURN (CHILDREN SUBSCRIBED....)'
[imapx:A] I/O: '* LIST (\Subscribed \HasChildren \UnMarked) "." for-offline

by the "." just before the "for-offline" text (it's a folder name on
the server).

Then I closed Evolution and edited corresponding .source file for this
IMAP account with:

   Namespace=for-offline.
   UseNamespace=true

(note of the "." at the end of the Namespace key).

When I start Evolution, after saving my changes, I see this in the log:

   [imapx:B] I/O: 'B00016 LIST "" "for-offline.*" RETURN (CHILDREN...)'
   [imapx:A] I/O: 'A00017 LIST "" for-offline RETURN (...)'

where the first searches for subfolders of the "for-offline" folder.
There is a runtime warning shown on the evolution console:

   > No matching namespace for "." for-offline

but I ignore it for now. The GUI shows limited set of folders now,
specifically:

   Inbox
   for-offline
      sub
   Junk
   Trash

I have created many more folders at the top level, which are hidden
now. After this I close Evolution and edit the corresponding .source
file and set

   UseNamespace=false

and when I save it and run Evolution again I see full folder structure
as before.

This is with the current development version, but it should be quite
the same as with 3.34.x, as far as I know.

Does the namespace usage hide all but the Inbox folder, or you still
see all folders from the top level? If I understood it correctly, then
you want to have Inbox hidden (which is not possible, as stated above),
but maybe I'm wrong.

        Bye,
        Milan

P.S.: by the way, your reply didn't go under the original thread. It
seems your mail client doesn't preserve threading headers, or you used
some odd function to "reply" to the mesasge. In Evolution, you can
Reply To List (Ctrl+L) to Mailing List messages like those you receive
here (if not referenced directly by the sender, which I did not do in
this specific message).