Re: [Evolution] Automated backups

Hi
Thanks for that
I use kbackup on a daily cron
And mirror to a usb once a week,
So I will stop using the evo backup
Cheers
Tony
On Fri, 2020-02-14 at 11:20 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Fri, 2020-02-14 at 12:03 +0100, ard wrote:
> Hi
> re 3.28.5-0ubuntu0.18.04.1
> Is there a way to automate the evolution backup? There does not appear
> to be a command line option to call via a cron job
> or is it enough to simply tar
> ~/.config/evolution
> ~/.local/share/evolution
> When I use the built in command it takes a very long time - up to 10
> mins, I know my backups are large - around 1.5G, but a simple tar takes
> a lot less time

Do *not* use the "Back up Evolution data" menu item to backup
Evolution. That's not what it's for. We've had discussions here about
changing the name but apparently it still misleads people. That option
is intended to be used only when moving your Evolution data to a new
computer (or a new installation if your home directory is going to be
wiped). It also doesn't backup everything, for example spam filters and
some other stuff (the Help document isn't very specific).

Use a proper backup solution for your home directory. There are many on
Linux which are designed to work with cron if correctly configured. You
should be backing up your home directory anyway (in fact you should
probably be backing up your machine, but that's your call) and this is
definitely the way to do it.

Note that if you use IMAP, your mails don't need to be backed up as
long as the IMAP server is properly managed.

poc