Re: [Evolution] Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified hostname

On Tue, 2019-09-03 at 07:42 +0200, Franz Gratzer wrote:
When creating the account in Evolution I should in theory select
"none" when asked for the the type of server which can receive
emails. Unfortunately when I do that I cannot send any mails. Instead
I get the error message: "Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified
hostname".

Only when I chose one of the wrong options "POP" or "IMAP" for
receiving email I can actually send emails from this account.

        Hi,
it sounds very unlikely, those two parts are separate. The only option
I can think of is when the SMTP server requires login on the POP server
before it logs to the SMTP server (it's a 'POP before SMTP' option in
the Authentication types of the Sending Email tab of the account
Properties), but I doubt you've it selected.

You can enable SMTP debugging with:

   $ CAMEL_DEBUG=smtp evolution

to see some of the data being transferred between Evolution and your
SMTP server and you can compare what changes. If I read the code
properly, then the SMTP provider uses the local address as returned
from the established connection to the SMTP server when it sends the
first HELO/EHLO. It can be Evolution sends only 'localhost', or your
machine name, instead of fully qualified name. Why that would change
when you configure also fake Receiving part I do not know.
        Bye,
        Milan