Re: [Evolution] very odd problem with evolution

On Mon, 2019-11-11 at 11:48 -0800, Gary Koskenmaki wrote:
But now it immediately reports it is offline...

        Hi,
evolution relies on glib with this, and it relies on other parts of the
system, it can be inet, or NetworkManager or maybe other. I guess some
update broke this for you. Go to Edit->Preferences->Network Preferences
and pick the working online detection method there, instead of using
environment variable. I'd also check NetworkManager settings and
eventually ensure that the used method is NetworkManager (if it's used
in your system at all). NetworkManager can have disabled notifications,
I can see such option in a context menu of the connection icon in the
system tray/status panel. I do not use XFCE, maybe it's there or
somewhere else.

... but reports the following error: (evolution:16814): Gtk-
WARNING **: 11:29:22.179: Failed to register client:
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method
"RegisterClient" with signature "ss" on interface
"org.xfce.Session.Manager" doesn't exist

I do not think it's related to the networking itself. gtk+ expects that
the desktop environment provides certain D-Bus service with certain
API, which did not work for your XFCE desktop. You can ignore these.

I've considered just doing a fresh install ....

I do not think it would help, especially if the fresh install would
bring the same updated packages.

        Bye,
        Milan