Re: [Evolution] search feature slow - in one account only

To add to that: there is a setting to keep stored for offline only part
of the folder, like several recent weeks/months/... Which means not
every message can be downloaded locally.

Having an optimization of "whole folder is stored for offline", then
avoid server-side searching, can be done. It might be eventually easy.
Before you file a bug for it [1], could you try:
a) File->Work offline
b) wait until evolution is offline
c) do the search.
Will it be quicker? Will it end with any error message? If not for
both, then I'd say file a bug. Also verify that in online the search
will be slow:
d) clear the search
e) File->Work online
f) wait until evolution is fully online
g) do the search.

Hello Milan,
thanks you for your reply. I did some testing and could not really understand evo's behaviour.
All tests were done for "message contains", I used short German names as search phrase, my mailboxes do contain around 1000 messages.

First test run - online
All searches were slow - 17-22s

Second test run - offline
Choose "synchronize folder locally for offline use"
All searches then quick - 1,5 -2,5s

Third test run - online again
First search carried out is slow
All following searches are quick
This happens independently from the folder settings (folder list > properties) and the setting under "edit > settings > eamil accounts > reception options > options - automatically synchronize remote emails locally"

So I'm a little out of clue now. Performance improved greatly for unknown reasons and I'm not unhappy with the situation now
Nevertheless it might not be ideal and deserves some occasional further research
.
Cheers,
Wolf