Re: [Evolution] list etiquette

On Fri, 31 Aug 2018 13:43:47 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
I for one would prefer to avoid it as these things tend to get out of
hand.

An example is the latest CoC of FreeBSD:

"[snip] If you believe anyone is in physical danger, please notify
appropriate law enforcement first. [snip] This Code of Conduct is
based on the example policy from the Geek Feminism wiki." -
https://www.freebsd.org/internal/code-of-conduct.html

I doubt that "law enforcement" ever was needed on any FLOSS mailing
list. However, a "Code of Conduct Committee" might still work for
FreeBSD, but AFAIK its new CoC isn't much older than six month.

An example on how well something works that is _really_ under Geek
Feminism's CoC is the Geek Feminism Wiki.

"The Geek Feminism Wiki is effectively in archival mode. New accounts
are restricted from editing due to vandalism, and we do not have the
volunteer labor available to whitelist new accounts and monitor
activity. The content of the wiki (most of which was written between
2009 and 2012) likely reflects many undesirable biases, such as racism
and ableism. We are keeping the content available as a community
resource, but cannot update it, despite its flaws. You are welcome to
fork and update content under the terms of the wiki's CC license." -
http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Geek_Feminism_Wiki

Too funny, the people who usually offend those rules are Geek
Feminists themselves and nobody else, since they tend to consider people
they don't know as being "heterosexuell alt-right white man with the
mission in life to chase Geek Feminists" and they abuse somebody they
consider to be a "heterosexuell alt-right white man with the
mission in life to chase Geek Feminists" by offending every
common nettiquette.