Re: [Evolution] send in background

On Sun, 2018-06-17 at 08:40 +0200, Gary Curtin wrote:
Having been a Thunderbird user for many years, in that application I
had set message sending to be in background. I am so used to starting
a new message after clicking send, that the delay while the message
is sent is causing me some frustration. I since selected to send
messages through Outbox folder, which reduced the time significantly,

That is, effectively, "send in background".

but there is still some small delay before the compose window is
closed.

I suspect it's Evolution storing the mail in the sent folder. You don't
say what sort of mail account it is, but if your sent messages are on
an IMAP account, then there may be some network delays.  When you say
"small delay", what do you mean? 0.5s, 1s, 5s, 3 minutes?

Any idea how to improve on this with Evolution3.28.1-2 on Ubuntu 18.04?

But, I don't really understand the problem - you can have multiple
compose windows open and there's nothing to stop you from starting to
compose another email while the other one spends time sending.
Besides, yes, the compose window stays open while things are finished,
but TBH I don't think I could physically move the mouse fast enough
between clicking "Send" and getting to the message window and clicking
"New" or selecting a new message and clicking "Reply".

I suppose if you have a small screen and the compose window covers the
main window, then that might be frustrating (although I've never seen
the delay being long enough to cause an issue unless there's a network
problem).  What you are effectively saying you want is for the compose
window to disappear as soon as you press send?  I think the problem
with that is the sending status messages appear in that window and if
there are problems with sending, the composed message needs to be shown
 so that the user can decide what to do (Try Again / Save as draft /
Discard / Cancel).

P.