Re: [Evolution] Disable Digests? [was: evolution-list Digest, Vol 156, Issue 61]

On Fri, 2018-07-27 at 15:07 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
On Fri, 2018-07-27 at 13:03 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
Please (PLEASE!) do NOT reply to digest messages. There is no
connection between this reply and the original thread it should be a
part of, making it difficult to trace the conversation and understand
what's going on.

Once again:

Digests are a creaking, outdated kludge that come from the days of UUCP
and dial-up modems. They have no place in a modern "always-on"
Internet, but for backward compatibility are still supported on some
lists, including this one. However that will only work if digest users
understand how to use them correctly. In particular, if you think you
NEED to use digests (you almost certainly don't), learn how to reply to
messages in a digest by right-clicking and selecting the Reply To
Digest option. This only works with MIME-formatted digests, but that
includes the Evolution list.

Note that just re-editing the Subject line and doing a normal Reply
doesn't work, as it still loses the header thread references.

Mailman adds a header to every digest email. It states
Important: do NOT reply directly to this digest. If you wish to reply
to a component message, use your mailer's facility for this. In
Evolution: right-click and select from the pop-up menu, or use the
drop-down menu at the top of each message if available."

Not strictly a header in the usual sense, more of a preamble, but
certainly liable to be ignored as standard boilerplate.

As people tend to ignore this I'm tempted to set the "digestable" and
"Edit_digest" administrator options to "No" for this mailing list.

I'm inclined to agree unless someone can come up with a genuine reason
not to do it (other than "I like it this way").

Though I don't know what that means for those list members who have
"digest" enabled in their options...

The logical result would be that they started receiving individual
messages, but of course Murphy's Law applies. Some people would
probably have to adjust their filters.

I suggest proposing this as a separate topic to gauge reaction.

poc