Re: [Evolution] evolution client crashing at startup

Hi Milan:

Thank you for the prompt response.
Comments below:

On Wed, 2018-07-04 at 14:33 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
On Wed, 2018-07-04 at 16:18 +0800, John Serink wrote:

please, try to send in Plain Text here, not in HTML.
Yes, sorry about that. I had to use gmail inside a browser and it defaults to HTML.
Evolution (what I am using to write this) is setup for plain text but it was broken when I
wrote you.
Using reply to list (Ctrl+L) is preferred, at least by me.
Top-posting is also kind of bad on this list.
Again, a web-browser gmail thing, sorry about that.

Anyway, back to the issue:

(evolution:1684): Gdk-WARNING **: 16:14:27.887: Native Windows wider
or taller than 32767 pixels are not supported

Let's start with the above. Could you run on console these commands,
please:

  $ gsettings get org.gnome.evolution.window:/org/gnome/evolution/shell/window/ width
  $ gsettings get org.gnome.evolution.window:/org/gnome/evolution/shell/window/ height

They will show what size the window has stored. You can reset it to its
defaults with:

$ gsettings reset-recursively org.gnome.evolution.window:/org/gnome/evolution/shell/window/
jserink@jserinki7 ~ $ gsettings get
org.gnome.evolution.window:/org/gnome/evolution/shell/window/ width
49129
jserink@jserinki7 ~ $ gsettings get
org.gnome.evolution.window:/org/gnome/evolution/shell/window/ height
884
jserink@jserinki7 ~ $ gsettings reset-recursively
org.gnome.evolution.window:/org/gnome/evolution/shell/window/
jserink@jserinki7 ~ $ gsettings get
org.gnome.evolution.window:/org/gnome/evolution/shell/window/ width
0

After resetting to defaults, evolution started no problem. THANKYOU for this.
Will file in my useful-tidbits to know folder.

If it's it, then I've no idea how those values could get insane.
Pass, me neither. Especially considering it happened, at least the crash happened, when I
wasn't even at my desk and my computer was locked.

Never mind, its fixed now, thanx

Cheers,
john

(evolution:1684): Gdk-ERROR **: 16:14:28.153: The program 'evolution'
received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)'.
  (Details: serial 1856 error_code 11 request_code 53 (core protocol)
minor_code 0)
  (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported
asynchronously;
   To debug your program, run it with the GDK_SYNCHRONIZE environment
   variable to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
   backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error()
function.)

If it's not it, then, please, follow the instructions above. It might
be hard to get to the function when the debug symbols are missing. This
symbol is from gtk+. Once you have them, the commands might be:

   $ export GDK_SYNCHRONIZE=1
   $ gdb evolution --ex "b gdk_x_error" --ex r --ex "bt" --ex "t a a bt" --ex q

where you'll be asked to confirm that you want to make the breakpoint
pending (there's some switch for it too, but I do not recall it). Thus
just answer 'y', when you'll be asked for something by gdb.

      Thanks and bye,
      Milan