Re: [Evolution] Evolution 3.26.2-1 - Cannot Back up or Export Local Data or Mail

On Mon, 2017-11-27 at 06:55 -0700, gibster wrote:
2) I have the following purposes for wanting to have a local copy of
all EWS mail data:
A) Increased email search and retrieval speed when travelling on poor
wifi connections
B) Reserve copy of all mail on server

        Hi,
okay, I see you are mixing two different things here. The above quoted
part has nothing to do with backup of evolution data. You already
achieved that by checking to synchronize remote mail locally for the
account.

Does this mean that the only solution for someone who wants to
retain a single local copy of all emails is to:
1) Enable "Sync Local Copy" to copy all emails into cache and
download the entire cache
2) Transfer all email into "On This Computer" folders
3) Delete the email cache
4) Disable "Sync Local Copy"

Well, no, as long as you transfer the messages between accounts, aka
when you copy them, then those not available locally are downloaded on
demand, regardless of the option to synchronize remote mail locally.

I do not think you also want a backup of the already downloaded
messages from the server. It might make sense, but as long as the local
cache is in some nonstandard format (it's private data for the
account), then you'd have it refreshed as soon as you connect to the
server (like when the server side get purged all its mails, evolution-
ews will notice it on start and will sync local cache with the remote
content after connect, thus remove all messages from the local cache
too - you won't get to it again).

You are right that the copy of the messages to On This Computer (which
I suggested only to have the builtin backup working) would also mean
that you'll have each message twice, once in the local cache of the
server content, the other time in On This Computer.

Maybe I missed something, thus feel free to correct me.
        Bye,
        Milan