Re: [Evolution] Some Questions Pertaining to Evolution

On Mon, 2017-03-20 at 20:23 -0500, Frank M Waterman wrote:
I was monkeying around in Evolution's preference settings for
composing when I all but tripped over the section which allows the
end user to define the font face and size that they want to use.

        Hi,
it doesn't influence what the receiving part gets, it's relevant only
for your side and no other.

Do I understand you to say that, with that feature selected, if I
type in the sequence of Unicode characters for which an emoticon has
been created, the emoticon will be displayed in place of the
keystroke combination?

Well, no. That "Use Unicode characters for emoticons" option influences
what is pasted into the message body when you pick one of
Insert->Emoticon->... items, eventually through the tool bar. It
doesn't do anything else. The insertion of the Unicode letter using
Unicode codes, as Ralf shown in the other message in this thread, works
completely independently from any option in the Evolution.

Note of Edit->Preferences->Composer Preferences->[ ] Automatically
insert emoticons option. That makes the composer "track what you type"
and if it is one of the known emoticon "shortcuts" (I do not know how
to call it, just the ASCII smiley, like ":)" or ":-)"), then it is
replaced with the emoticon according to the other option (either
Unicode, or an image, or even full ASCII representation for plain text
messages, which makes from ":)" this ":-)").

Try it, and you'll see. It's easier than to ask for something you can
try yourself.

If this understanding is correct, will the sender as well as the
recipient be able to see the emoticon?

It depends on the client the recipient uses, but as these are somewhat
standard font letters, then as long as their font contains them, then
the recipient will see it too. Using images, or ASCII smilies, is no
problem, these (images) are attached to the message and shown the same
as you see them when composing. Again, give it a try and you'll see
yourself.
        Bye,
        Milan