Re: [Evolution] evolution-list Digest, Vol 140, Issue 6

On Fri, 2017-03-10 at 21:54 -0600, Jim Engle wrote:
 When
I replied to your message, I used evolution and reply to sender, however
I changed the subject line, trying to follow the instructions that
evolution-list includes at the beginning of each message.  This time I
used
Ctrl+L and did not change the subject line.  I hope it works better for
you, Milan.

I'm afraid it didn't, for several reasons. Since you say you are new to
mailing lists, allow me to explain a few things:

1) You replied to a digest. Never, *never* do this. Your reply included
the entire text of all the messages in the digest, even ones completely
unrelated to your thread. If you absolutely must use digests, you can
reply to an individual message by right-clicking within the message
body. However it's really much better just to avoid digests altogether,
 as they have no advantages in modern systems (they still exist as a
throwback to the days of modems and UUCP). Note that changing the
subject line is not the way to deal with this.

2) You top-posted your reply, i.e. your comments are in front of the
the material you are quoting. Although this is common practice in the
business world (due to the pernicious influence of Outlook), it's
generally frowned on in technical mailing lists including this one. You
should insert comments after the specific text you want to comment on.

3) In that same vein, don't quote a lot of stuff that you aren't
commenting on, i.e. be selective. There's no need to quote the entire
message you reply to (even without using digests). That's what the list
archive is for, and what threading exists to support.

Welcome to the list :-)

poc