Re: [Evolution] Fetch PGP Public keys from LDAP?

On Wed, 2017-12-06 at 18:32 -0500, David Burleigh wrote:
What I'm really after is away to simplify and nearly automate the use
of pgp encryption for emails within our organization. Already we have
the robust mail clients like Evolution, Thunderbird, and Outlook (for
Windows users) access our common LDAP service for our organizational
contacts, so it would be convenient to have everyone's public key
hosted there also, and automatically used to encrypt mail to them.

[again: ~26+ years experience]

We used to do the same - use LDAP as a contacts backend between diverse
clients.  The problem is that such a solution is a potent example of
LDC (least common denominator) behavior.  Beyond very basic
functionality like name-and-email you can't get much; you certainly
will not be able to get all the clients to inter-operate getting
encryption keys from the addressbook - it just isn't going to happen.
 I know, when you set it up it seems like you are 99.44% of the way
there to a good collaboration solution [essentially what we used to
call "groupware"] - but that 0.56% is a big deal - and LDAP cannot
deliver it.

See a very old presentation of mine - http://www.wmmi.net/documents/LDA
P105.pdf - concerning how even the basic schema used by Evolution,
Thunderbird, and WAB [Outlook] don't match up across clients. :(

Any notion that 'the world' would settle on a standard LDAP schema, and
any notion that 'the world' had a genuine interest in real inter-
operability, is now dusty history.   Hyper-proprietary "cloud" services
[called them "SaaS" back when I was wee lad] have crushed any momentum
that existed concerning standards; or at least any standards that don't
suit their purposes.

You get closest to what you want using a WebDAV (CardDAV) server.
Even then advanced features like key sharing are iffy.

There are very pragmatic reasons that, eventually, almost all
organizations standardize on a specific client.