Re: [Evolution] Word Wrapping

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 8:55 AM, Pete Biggs <pete biggs org uk> wrote:

Please don't top post.

Oops!  Sorry about that!  Don't use the webclient often for this account.

On Wed, 2017-04-12 at 08:32 -0400, MayDay Computers wrote:
I highly doubt you will actuall want "Preformatted."

The OP asked how to turn off line breaks, I told them how to turn off
line breaks.

  That will cause
your mobile viewers to have to scroll left and right to view your
message and you would be solely responsible for line breaks.

That's not true. Look at the screen shot and what the OP was saying -
there are two apparent line breaks, this is his original:

"on phones because the character width is <71, meaning that the line if
first broken by the phone's screen/program and then broken at 71
characters."
So no, it isn't presented as one long line, and using preformattted
*will* do what he wants.  It'll be a pain to compose though, because
the Evolution composer won't split the lines!

I was suggesting the preformatted mode would create the long endless
lines, not that plain text mode would.  And, in my defense, my comment
was highly influenced by the Evolution composer view!  I also
(wrongly) assumed that preformatted would work the same way in both
plain text and HTML modes.

What *does* appear as one long line is using "Preformatted" in an HTML
email - this creates text surrounded by <pre> </pre> and is not
interpreted or mangled by the recipient's browser at all.

 Plain
text mode has hard breaks at certain line lengths so will be optimized
for a minimum screen size as well.

I don't understand that. Where does the optimization come in?

Not actual programmatic optimization, but optimization in the fact
that it will look OK on a 71 character window or larger.

 If you want automatic line breaks
across mobile and desktop clients, you will have to use HTML mode,

Which is what I said I think.

P.

Yes, I was agreeing with you.