Re: [Evolution] Recurring, intermittent hang on reply, forward or creation

On Wed, 2016-10-19 at 20:54 -0400, Reid Vail wrote:
I ran Evolution from a command and captured messages and show them below because
it's pretty brief.  Just BTW... in the middle of this Evolution session I did a
message backup, and it just ends with a hang.  Hope it's OK that I posted this error
here.

        Hi,
it looks like you are mixing two different things here. From the
bottom, the "message backup" is 'settings backup', which means
everything is saved, not only a single message, or messages only. How
long the settings backup take depends on the amount of data being
stored locally. Yours 1.5GB can take quite some time to compress, which
can use 100% CPU for sure.

On one of our desktop computers running Linux Mint 17.3 and Evolution
3.10.4 we're having recurring, intermittent trouble with reply,
forward and sometimes with message creation.

This is the second issue. Hard to tell, 3.10.4 is pretty ancient.
Ideally install packages with debugging information for the evolution-
data-server and evolution itself, then reproduce the issue, then, while
the evolution is stuck, get the backtrace of the evolution to see what
it tries to do. It can be stuck in WebKit too. You can get the
backtrace with command like this:
   $ gdb --batch --ex "t a a bt" -pid=`pidof evolution` &>bt.txt
Please check the bt.txt for any private information, like passwords,
email address, server addresses,... I usually search for "pass" at
least (quotes for clarity only).
        Bye,
        Milan