Re: [Evolution] Yet another: The odd behaviour of Gmail accounts

On Tue, 2016-05-17 at 20:38 +0200, Tom wrote:

[...]

     C. Gmail simply throws away the second one (remember that Gmail
is
        really an interface to a database) though haven't checked
this.

This has been hypothesised but I can't think of a reliable way to test
it. Given that the Gmail server side would need to check messages for
duplicates to detect this, it may not be true.

*DELETED*
     A. Messages that are deleted from a folder via IMAP (except for
        those in [Gmail]/Spam or [Gmail]/Trash) only have folder
label
        removed and still exist in [Gmail]/"All Mail".

Are you sure? I deleted and expunged a test message using Evo and the
Gmail web interface removed it from All Mail.

     B. Saving deleted messages to [Gmail]/Trash folder causes
deleting
        a message in all folders.

Not sure I understand what you mean by this.

*INTERFACES*
     A. In the GMail web interface they show there [Imap]/Drafts and
        [Imap]/Sent "folders", thus it seems that they distinguish
        between the two being done through the web UI and through the
        IMAP interface.

I suspect the [Imap]/Sent folder is used when the user specifies it,
but of course the builtin Sent folder is always there, as you say.

     A. Gmail doesn't actually use folders, e.g. it's the Sent Mail
        label, but when accessing it via IMAP it appears as a folder.

It's worth noting that Gmail's use of labels means that the same
message may appear in multiple IMAP folders. There is still only one
copy of the message. Deleting such a message from one folder simply
removes the corresponding label and doesn't remove the message from
other folders. A bit like filenames on Unix in fact. Is that what you
meant by the above comment regarding [Gmail]/Trash?

poc