Re: [Evolution] why Evolution email application unnecessarily prompts for passwords on random occasions.

On Mon, 2016-05-16 at 12:31 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
The evolution(-data-server) doesn't use gnome-keyring directly, I do
not know since which version, but definitely in 3.10.x and later. It
uses libsecret library for password management. That library hides
the
implementation details for the users of it, thus it can be that the
password are stored in the gnome-keyring when the application runs
under GNOME environment, but the passwords can be stored in the
KWallet
(it's called this way, if I recall correctly), in the KDE
environment,
and so on. I do not say it's currently the case, but the idea of the
libsecret library is just this (apart of other things).

That's good to know. I'm afraid Evo under KDE still uses gnome-keyring
and not Kwallet, but at least it's something that could conceivably
change.

IMHO the whole mess of competing keyring/wallet systems should be
cleaned up. They are an important foundation for desktop systems and
there's no reason I can see why all the main DE groups couldn't just
agree on one of them, especially as they work over Dbus, which is a
standard.

poc