Re: [Evolution] [ews] Possible to skip downloading messages for offline for a single folder?

On Mon, 2016-05-09 at 18:28 +0300, Robert Munteanu wrote:
Hi,

(Evolution 3.20.1, openSUSE Tumbleweed x86_64)

Due to a necessary but sub-optimal workflow that I use ( see the end
of this email if you're curious ) I end up with hundreds of emails
daily in my 'Deleted Items' folder.

I also set my account to 'Automatically synchronize remote email
locally'.

Separately they were good ideas, but when applied together I have to
wait for really long message syncs when starting up Evolution,
especially after a weekend. I sometimes remember to empty the
'Deleted
Items' folder from the web UI, but most of the times I don't.

Is there a way to ask Evolution to not download messages for specific
folders locally, overriding the global setup? I would be happy if
this
would work only for the 'Deleted Items' folder.

I'll chip in as no one else has answered yet, but there are several
details of your setup which aren't clear.

* What kind of account this is (IMAP, POP, Exchange, ...)?

* If IMAP or Exchange, have you configured a real trash folder. If not,
the default is that Trash (Deleted Messages) is a virtual folder, i.e.
the messages are marked for deletion but are still present in the
folder they landed in until you expunge them.

* Is the filtering being done by Evo or on the server?

* Are you accessing the account from more than one place?

If the account is IMAP I guess you could unsubscribe the Trash folder,
though I don't know what the effect would be, having never tried it.

You could also turn off automatic synching. Again, in the case of IMAP
there's normally no need for it, but it depends on your requirements.
You can always synch folders manually if needed.

It's not clear whether you're using Evo for example in both your
workplace and at home. If so, you could configure it to expunge deleted
messages at the end of each session, and remember to log out when
leaving work.

poc