Re: [Evolution] [Fwd: You have been unsubscribed from the evolution-list mailing list]

Hello Patrick,

I have resubscribed using one of my business addresses (IMAP) instead of address on bellsouth.net (POP)

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick O'Callaghan <poc usb ve>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2016 23:34:05 +0100

On 2016-07-29 at 15:24 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
It's tempting to think so, but there are also users with pacbell and bellsouth addresses who have similar problems. I note that both of them route their mail through prodigy.net, if that means anything. poc
Apparently, prodigy.net email service is actually provided by yahoo; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prodigy_(online_service)#A_public_company So it is really just yahoo having problems with emails from their own customers that passed through a mailing list.
OK, good sleuthing :-)
I got the hint by the error message given by the prodigy mailserver when attempting to spoof a yahoo From:
<<< 554 5.7.9 Message not accepted for policy reasons. See https://help.yahoo.com/kb/postmaster/SLN7253.html 554 5.0.0 Service unavailable
I'm quite sure it is related to their DMARC reject policy (perhaps even marked internally).
Looks like it, however I don't understand why it's only affecting a very small number of users, and only occasionally.
It asserts that yahoo.com emails will only ever come from yahoo servers, and non-complaint emails shall be *rejected*. This makes complete sense for eg. paypal.com but for a free mail provider like yahoo imho such policy is broken. Precisely because it completely breaks mailing lists: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMARC#Mailing_lists Also, it should be noted that other providers may also be taking that into account. For instance gmail accepts those DMARC-failing messages, but they are sent to the Spam folder.
My address (@usb.ve) is a Google Apps for Education account. I have another Gmail address on several Mailman lists. None of them has ever been affected by this.
There are a few options in recent mailman versions for handling this, although none seems specially appealing: https://wiki.list.org/DEV/DMARC
I'll consider passing this on to the Gnome admins but it's seems likely they would already know about it. poc _______________________________________________ evolution-list mailing list evolution-list gnome org To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ... https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list