[Evolution] Evolution not properly sorting by thread

Hi,

I'm seeing an issue with Evolution 3.10.4 on Ubuntu 14.04.4 where the
sort by thread instructions provided here
https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/mail-sorting-message-list.html.en
do not seem to be working properly for plain text email.

The instructions indicate that "When a new message arrives, it will be
added below the parent message. Threads are sorted and displayed based
on the date of the most recent message received."

But I am seeing the newer messages at the top of the thread above its
parent instead of below it. If I sort by date again, it fixes it,
except now I have to scroll all the way to the bottom to see my new
messages.

This is happening ONLY on a folder that contains plain text only email
i.e. a mailing list. Is this expected behavior?

Thanks,
str3tch3r