Re: [Evolution] More on Crashes

On Sat, 2016-07-30 at 17:03 -0700, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
This is easier written than done since:
    1. I have to download debugging symbols, about 3.5 Gb of them.  Fortunately, the
       system has a fairly large (96 Gb) root partition.

        Hi,
do not install all of that debuginfo, it's not needed. The Fedora
(debuginfo download) downloads also dependencies for the packages you
name, which is not needed here. Just run this as root:

   # dnf install evolution-debuginfo evolution-data-server-debuginfo \
     --enablerepo=updates-debuginfo

and make sure the installed version of the debuginfo packages will be
the same as the binary packages version (`rpm -qa evolution* | sort`).

I can use gdb, but would prefer to use abrt, since it reports
a whole lot of useful info beyond the trace.

Actually it doesn't, at least not at this stage (and for me
personally). The backtrace will show where the crash happened and will
make it possible to search for a duplicate and eventually pair your
crash with a different bug report. I read usually only the backtraces
in the ABRT reports, sometimes dso files and occasionally the
var_log_messages, though it's often empty in the most recent reports. I
mean, simply run as a regular user:

   $ gdb evolution --ex r --ex bt --ex "t a a bt" --ex q

and reproduce the crash. Once the application will freeze (GUI will not
repaint), it'll be possible that the terminal is waiting for the input
from the user. Copy the output of the gdb command with function names
and eventually file names and line numbers.

Also, please delete the previous logs from the Google drive, they do
not provide any valuable information and contain private information
which you'd surely won't like to share in public.
        Bye,
        Milan