Re: [Evolution] evolution and wine

On Thu, 2015-07-02 at 14:41 -0400, Eugene Kanter wrote:
The dialog means that evolution somehow triggers wine libraries use.
My question is where is the possible connection because I would like
to remove it. I don't see a valid reason for evolution to depend
and/or call wine libraries.

        Hi,
there is no direct connection between wine and evolution, neither in
build time, nor in run time. They are independent projects.

One thing I can think of are browser plugins. Evolution uses WebKitGTK+
for message rendering (and composing since 3.16.0). To not use any
random installed browser plugins evolution asks webkit for the list of
available plugins and disables them all. Some of them print information
on console. If you have any wine-related browser plugin, then its
discovery can trigger its load and that can call the wine routines.

If the wine configuration takes long enough you can catch a backtrace
of the evolution, where could be seen what it does in that time. It's
not 100% sure, though. You might have installed debuginfo package for
evolution at least to get any reasonable backtrace. The command can
look like this:
   $ gdb --batch --ex "t a a bt" -pid=`pidof evolution` &>bt.txt
I would not share the backtrace anywhere, but if you'll be unsure, then
please check the bt.txt for any private information, like passwords,
email address, server addresses,... I usually search for "pass" at
least (quotes for clarity only).
        Bye,
        Milan