Re: [Evolution] Properly archiving Evolution data

On Sat, 2015-08-01 at 06:15 -0600, James Lay wrote:
On Thu, 2015-07-30 at 18:32 -0600, James Lay wrote:
On Thu, 2015-07-30 at 23:30 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Thu, 2015-07-30 at 14:23 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 2015-07-28 at 23:05 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > I guess you could create a Search folder matching the messages you
> > want to archive then save them all in an mbox file and delete them.
>
> This would pretty much be my recommendation - create an additional
> local account [MBOX or Maildir - PAYING ATTENTION TO WHERE YOU CREATE
> IT] and move the stuff you want to archive to that account.  Then you
> can go into Evolution and mark the account as inactive ...  until
> such
> time as you need to access it again, then just toggle it back on.
>  For
> backup of the archive you just make a copy of the account content
> [from
> where you created it].

Yes, that would be slightly more elegant than my proposal. Obviously
the dummy account should never check for new email or be selected as
the default sending address. In fact the sending and receiving servers
should probably be set to dummy addresses.

poc

Thanks all...this has been really helpful and educational.

James

I tried this method of creating a local Maildir account....the account created just fine, but I was unable to copy or move any itemd into the Inbox.

James