Re: [Evolution] Broken threading (was: Restoring data to new HDD)

G.W. Haywood wrote:
One of the responses to my earlier comments was that if the thread is
broken he would consider ignoring it.

After you stated that since you failed to see any problem, and thus you
didn't want to fix anything.
It *is* your problem if you express so badly that fail to be understood
(that is, if you expect to communicate with anyone). Not being read is
just a potential consequence of your chaotic replies.

If someone wants to put some effort into improving the list software
of course I'll be happy to help in testing it, (…)

That's a good thing.

That might be rational on some other lists, but since this one is
_devoted_ to problems with a mail client, it seems rather stupid.

Not to alpine. This doesn't mean we will be unwilling to help but, in
addition of not being the most knowledgeable guys about it, you should
allow yourself to be helped.

It's like my doctor refusing to treat
me for laryngitis if I can't speak clearly to explain what's wrong.

It's like if you were phoning to the ophthalmologist complaning about
your ankle and calling (replying) to a different office each time.

You are very verbose but fail to explain your context.
*What are  you doing, step-by-step when you reply to a mailing list
digest?*

One of the posters to the earlier thread was kind enough to write for
me a little alpine-digest-list-threading-HOWTO.  He talked about using
'V' to view the message attachment.

 Unluckily he neglected to test his theory,

You see, we don't have every MUA installed locally…

Well, there go those assumptions again. (...) which is all that it was.
Pointless noise.

Not "his theories". They were properly referenced to people who claimed
it was working for them.

You should what you are doing and how it is failing. Perhaps it's not
doing anything, or it is configured to a different shortcut (eg. launch
Hanoi Towers) or maybe you are using a keyboard whose key "V" fell off
time ago. How shall we know?

You see, there are no attachments on the Evolution users' digest list.

This may be the first decent piece of information you gave about this
issue.

If someone wants to put some effort into improving the list software
of course I'll be happy to help in testing it, but as I've said before
I'm on the digest list for good reasons.

That you didn't share. So we can hardly know if we are providing an
appropiate answer.

 Now you've seen one of them.

Perhaps can you explain which is it? I see several options, from not
receiving the attachments you are sent, to forcing the messages to plain
text(which your MUA should be able to do perfectly) or being able to
mock people sending you screenshots ;)

And *please*, reply to the standalone copy of the message, not to the
one embedded in the digest.