Re: [Evolution] Black areas in space with email headers using Evolve Gnome theme

On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 11:18 PM, Milan Crha <mcrha redhat com> wrote:
On Sat, 2014-04-26 at 14:37 -0700, Per wrote:

> I do not experience this bug with any of the default themes that comes
> with Ubuntu/Gnome, just Evolve, so I'm not sure whether this is an
> Evolution or Evolve issue (no pun intended...).
>
> The fact the bug was addressed by the Evolution developers in the past
> suggests perhaps there is a regression in Evolution, as all the fixes
> made seem to refer to older versions of Evolution than I use.

Anyway, the message preview tries to use colors from the selected theme
to be drawn consistently (or close to) the other widgets. The problem is
that the theme definitions do not always define colors (in this case
background colors), thus the returned value is a default color, black.
So the problem is unreliability on colors of theme definitions. One
case, I notices, was when the theme defines background image, with no
"fallback" color for the widget, but Evolution requires the color.

As you mentioned, all other preinstalled themes work correctly for you,
which shows that the actual issue is with the theme you chose to use.
The theme is just a css definition, thus it might be doable to edit it
and add the background color definition for the widgets, namely for
toolbar (see the above bug report and the attached patch there).
​​

​Thanks Milan. I dug up the source for the Adwaita theme but its beyond my skills to identify which elements do not have their background-color property defined in the Evolve theme's stylesheets. It may be extremely tedious work for the Evolve developer to identify them as well. Anyway, I copied your advice to him. In the meanwhile I simple added this line at the top my /usr/share/themes/Evolve/gtk-3.0/gtk-widgets.css:

* { background-color: @theme_bg_color; }
 ​
​This defines a default fallback color for *any* undefined element. Perhaps its too risk with such wide scope, but it fixed the ugly, black background issue in Evolution, Gnome Tweaks and gedit.​ It should work for any other theme with said issue.

Regards,
Per