Re: [Evolution] I/O operation timing out

On Sat, 2013-11-30 at 11:49 -0500, Eric Beversluis wrote:
On Mon, 2013-10-28 at 11:00 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Mon, 2013-10-21 at 18:58 -0400, Eric Beversluis wrote:
I now have Evo 3.8.5 on Fedora 19. So everything's up to date in Kansas
City. The problem persists. I'm doing 'send/receive' on three accounts,
all the same domain, all hosted at omnis.com. I've done some traceroutes
and my impression is that most if not all of the jumps take longer when
the attempt times out. This presumably would mean that it's not a
problem at the omnis.com end. So I repeat my earlier query: Is there
some way to tell Evolution to wait longer before it times out? I've
already set net.ipv4.tcp_syn_retries to 7, which is supposed to give
about 90 seconds (per
http://www.sekuda.com/overriding_the_default_linux_kernel_20_second_tcp_socket_connect_timeout).
But I'm getting the timeout error after about 45 seconds and 60 seconds.
And it's still intermittent--sometimes stuff downloads right away;
sometimes only one or two accounts download and then it times out.
Is this for an IMAP or POP account?
If you run "CAMEL_VERBOSE_DEBUG=1 evolution" do you see anything about
the timeout?
I'm not an expert but noodling around in the camel code in EDS I do not
see anything that looks like a socket timeout; so I'd guess whatever the
default is what the default is.
Evolution experts/developers out there: Is there anything in Evolution
code that creates a time out?

Depends on what you mean by "creates a time out".  The technical answer
in yes - any application that performs I/O [the includes network I/O]
can [and should] raise a time-out exception if an operation times out.

Evolution almost certainly does not *cause* a time-out;  the time-out is
'bubbling up' from the underlying subsystem(s).  Evolution does a *LOT*
of I/O  - it is a powerful application and demanding of the underlying
subsystems - so it may very well get an exception where something else
may not.

Not a bug in Evolution.

Where is the error message that the I/O
operation timed out coming from?

Almost certainly from your network stack; and my $$$ would be on your
ISP/customer router.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam whitemice org> GPG D95ED383