Re: [Evolution] evolution-ews - Exchange GAL possible issue?

Message: 5
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 11:27:51 +0100
From: Milan Crha <mcrha redhat com>
To: evolution-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [Evolution] evolution-ews - Exchange GAL possible issue?

(see below)

On Tue, 2012-12-25 at 17:49 -0600, Mike Hinz wrote:
- One minor issue:  If I click 'Check for Supported Types' (for
Authentication), that operation always fails with a 'Failed to query
server for a list of supported authentication mechanisms.  Query for
authentication types is not supported' message.

The message is returned by evolution-ews, and it means it :)
Evolution-ews doesn't support ask for supported authentication methods
by the server, which is usually used to give you correct options for
authentication.

Thanks very much for that bit of info.  I hadn't understood that.

- Under 'Receiving Options' if I check 'Cache offline address book' then
click 'Fetch list', that operation causes an authentication request
pop-up that wants my Exchange account pw.  I enter the requested
password, but it fails to accept it no matter how many times I attempt
to enter it.

Hrm, does it do it even if you edit already created and otherwise
working account? Does the OAB URL end with .../oab.xml? It should end
with it, and I think you have it fixed in your version.

My OAB URL does indeed end with ...../oab.xml   I've just now tried it
again on a working account. Same thing, a pop-up dialog asked me for my password
but it always gives me "password was incorrect" even though it clearly is as I'm
copy/pasting it from a password manager.

- If I go to Contacts, I can select my 'contacts' and can see whatever
exists on the Exchange server.  However, when I select 'global address
list' no entries appear.  Searching for a known entry also displays
nothing.

Unexpected, but correct by the code. The EWS GAL which is not cached
offline (through OAB in the previous paragraph) can be only searched,
and the search limitation is that it can be searched only on the EMail
address, not on Name or other fields, thus it works in composer (which
checks also in email field), but not in Contacts view when you search on
other fields. Note the default filter is named "Email begins with", thus
it'll show you only contacts with the given prefix

Thanks, I understand that behavior, but the default service filter is actually
"name contains".  Once I changed the filter to "Email Begins With" then I could
at least find someone in the GAL.  However, there seem to be issues with this
at least in terms of functionality.  I note that the search only returns the
'Name' and 'Other Email' information.  I was expecting all the fields to be returned.
I also note that if I attempt to copy the GAL search result to my Contacts, that
operation fails with a 'Permission Denied'.  Being able to see the full contact
details and add the entry with all the fields to Contacts is very useful
as you then have the contact information available offline, etc.  Are
there any enhancements planned for this sort of functionality?

- I also have noticed that the authentication doesn't seem to be
retained properly by keyring most of the time when I start Evolution,
I'm re-prompted for my Exchange password, although this is frustratingly
inconsistent.

I guess the first prompt when you create the account is saved, but left
for gone UID in the keyring. I'm not 100% sure, but if I recall
correctly, then the disadvantage of 3.6 password prompts is that you are
asked separately for each ESource you have, thus for each EWS calendar,
for each EWS book (including GAL), and then for each Mail account (there
is usually one). If you have other issue, like you told it to remember
the password but it forgot it the next start (of evolution? or start of
all evolution will no evolution (ps ax | grep evolution) processes
running?), then it smells like a bug worth to be filled and

I'll keep trying to define exactly when and how this happens and if I can figure that
out precisely, 'll file a bug.

Thanks for your help!

investigated.

      Hope it helps,