Re: [Evolution] Evolution - mbox to maildir

Hi Pete -

Sorry - forgot to include that this is version 3.6.2

RV
---- Pete Biggs <pete biggs org uk> wrote:
On Wed, 2013-02-20 at 21:56 -0500, RSV-RR wrote:
On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 23:57:11 -0500
Matthew Barnes <mbarnes redhat com> wrote:

On Tue, 2013-02-19 at 22:10 -0500, RSV-RR wrote:
Is there a way to convert Evolution's msg storage from mbox to
maildir?  My wife has a very large amount of mail and it can be very
time consuming and disk intensive to manipulate mbox files, whereas
maildir or MH format seems cleaner.

Any thoughts about this?  Good idea, bad idea?

The local mail storage format has been Maildir since version 3.0.

Thanks for your replies...

Well...it's an interesting twist that it's maildir by default,

Only if you are using version 3.0 or higher - you've never said what
version you are using.

 but when
we recently set up her account (about two months ago) I imported mail
from Thunderbird, which I think is mbox format.  So is it right to
assume it would take those files and re-import to mbox.  Also, it's a
POP3 account.  Does that matter?

If the mail is directly under "On This Computer" rather than another
account, then it will be stored in the native format - which if you are
using version 3.0 or later will be Maildir.  Prior to that version it
will be mbox.

Actually this raises an interesting question that I never thought
of...how do I know what format is currently being used?

There's no direct way from the GUI (the internal storage format is not
usually, nor should it be, of any concern to the user).  You need to
look in the Evolution's private folders to see how the mail is stored -
the location of those folders is dependent on the version.

P.