Re: [Evolution] Evolution takes longer to display messages after change in server.

On Tue, 2012-01-31 at 12:30 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Tue, 2012-01-31 at 17:10 +0100, Andre Klapper wrote:
On Mon, 2012-01-30 at 14:17 -0600, Leonard Evens wrote:
I had set evolution on my home (Fedora 14) computer

See my previous emails about unsupported EOL distributions.

 to receive mail from
my departmental server and send mail by gmail.com.   I created a new
setup under which I both receive and send mail using the departmental
servers.  Under the old setup, the messages appeared essentially
instantaneously as I went through the listing in the inbox pane.  Under
the new setup, it takes much longer, and I get messages below about
downloading.

Which account type is this about? POP, IMAP, something else?

Yep, what kind of account?  If IMAP you may also have switched between
IMAP & IMAPX backends.  You may also have had the mailbox cached before
and now you don't; you can also may have checked download all headers or
keep copies of messages locally [off my default].

I did finally manage to get it to work.  I looked at the Receiving
Options in the old setup and used the same settings for Feceiving
Options in the new setup.  In particular, I unchecked "Check for new
messages in all folders" and "Apply filters to news messages in INBOX on
this server", and that fixed the problem.  I think it was the first of
these that did it.

When I get a chance, I will try to figure out just what all the
Receiving Options do and so do what I want by intention rather than by
rote.

--
Leonard Evens len math northwestern edu
Professor Emeritus, Department of Mathematics, Northwestern University