[Evolution] differences between search within vfolder and search within underlying lists

I have vfolder that combines two different inboxes.  If I am within the
vfolder and type a selection in the search box (on subject or sender)
the search is very slow (the underlying boxes are large).  If I go to
either of the inboxes and do the same search the results are much
faster.  However, the latter searches miss stuff that the vfolder search
finds.  Both mailboxes are imap (cyrus for the messages not found,
courier for the other).

I'm running evolution 2.22.3.1 on Debian Lenny.

Can anyone explain why the results and speed differ?

One theory has occurred to me: when searching the individual boxes evo
does an IMAP search.  This is fast, but misses stuff if the indices are
corrupt.  I have some reason to think they are for cyrus, since the
indexing job fails often (always?).  The vfolder search does not use
IMAP search, perhaps doing things on the client side, and so does find
everything and does  take longer.

Thanks.
Ross Boylan