Re: [Evolution] Need help migrating

Am Freitag, den 10.02.2012, 19:53 +0100 schrieb Thomas Mittelstaedt:
Am Mittwoch, den 08.02.2012, 14:03 -0500 schrieb Joe Fitzmyer:
I have a user in our company that recently was given a new machine running
Mint 12. Previously he had been using a distribution that used Evolution
2.0.3.

How can I migrate his data to the current Evolution 3.2.2? His older version
does not support the Backup option. The file structures are somewhat
different between the two versions.

Thanks for any insight.

Well, since it's such an old version, I'd suggest, your user should
start afresh with evolution 3.2.2 and import the old data using the
import-feature in the new version. I hope this is not too cumbersome.
Maybe, there exists a plug-in which can import more than one mbox-file
or more than one calendar file.
Hope that helps!

Well, or you could just save the old data into a tar.gz archive and use
the backup-restore feature of the new version. That process may not be
perfect but could import most of the data and save some time. I can
remember having tested that backup-restore feature and it would properly
move old data from the ~/.evolution directory to the new ~/.local/...
directory structure. (I can also remember that I had to delete or rename
~/.evolution to something else after the import so that evolution would
not try to pick up calendar data from the now empty .evolution/calendar
folder.)

--
thomas