Re: [Evolution] Feature request - live debug

On 2/3/2012 3:20 AM, Pete Biggs wrote:
On Fri, 2012-02-03 at 12:06 +0200, Mark Elkins wrote:
On a slow internet connection line - watching my 'sending messages -
25%' - wondering whats going on...

It would be handy to view the live, raw interaction of what is going on
at times, whether for downloading or sending - restricted to significant
events (SSL validation, mail header exchange, data count every 10Kb -
etc).

One might view this by mouse over the dynamic info bars at the bottom of
the evolution screen? or is there a log file option I'm unaware of?

Well there's always the debugging variables:

  http://projects.gnome.org/evolution/bugs.shtml

I agree that I'd really like to see what is going on, plus what has been
happening in the background. This should be done without needing
debugging variables because when I want to know why it is slow or
unresponsive, I wasn't planning on that happening. And, often when that
happens Evolution does not *want* to shut down. It can take literal
*minutes* for Evolution to decide to quit when an IMAP connection has
gone wonky.

You can always force-kill it of course but I hate doing that. After all,
if it was completely safe to force-close then why is Evolution waiting
instead of quitting? Which would be the question that the interaction
log would answer.

Plus, it is just neat to have.