Re: [Evolution] NNTP: How to send messages to Usenet/Newsgroup?

Am Sonntag, den 15.04.2012, 01:39 +0200 schrieb Thomas Mittelstaedt:
Am Donnerstag, den 12.04.2012, 13:00 +0200 schrieb Paul Menzel:

is there a way to send messages to a Usenet group.

The tab ÂSending in the account preferences only allow me to choose
SMTP or Sendmail. I guess that does not work with NNTP. I only have the
following technical details about the Usenet server [1].

        eternal-september.org can be accessed via the following server names and ports:

        Client Settings

        Server name: news.eternal-september.org
        Port : 119 (NNTP)
        Port : 563 (encrypted connection NNTPS)

        Servername: reader80.eternal-september.org
        Port : 80

        Servername: reader443.eternal-september.org
        Port : 443 (encrypted connection NNTPS)

With SMTP I tried to send the message, but the following was printed to the terminal.

        (evolution:3417): camel-CRITICAL **: camel_stream_filter_new: assertion `CAMEL_IS_STREAM
(source)' failed

        (evolution:3417): camel-CRITICAL **: camel_stream_filter_add: assertion `CAMEL_IS_STREAM_FILTER
(stream)' failed

        (evolution:3417): camel-CRITICAL **: camel_stream_write: assertion `CAMEL_IS_STREAM (stream)'
failed

        (evolution:3417): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)'
failed

        (evolution:3417): camel-WARNING **: CamelNNTPFolder::append_online() reported failure without
setting its GError

        (evolution:3417): camel-WARNING **: CamelNNTPFolder::append_message_sync() reported failure
without setting its GError

[1] http://www.eternal-september.org/index.php?showpage=techinfo

Have you registered at that site? This is required according to the
information there.

Yes, I registered at that site. (Otherwise I would not have been able to
read the news in the first place.)

I have sparely visited Usenet lately, but I can remember having
successfully sent messages to newsgroups on the nntp server of my
provider. So, in the Send options of that nntp account there is smtp and
I put in the user name and password of that smtp server.

What SMTP server?

Have you tried other email clients like mozilla thunderbird and opera ?

Using the newsreader Pan [1] reading and posting works without problems.
So I recommend using Pan until the bugs in Evolution are fixed. Pan even
had a new release a week ago and a lot of features were added.

Thanks,

Paul

[1] http://pan.rebelbase.com/
[2] http://git.gnome.org/browse/pan2/plain/ChangeLog