Re: [Evolution] folder filtering

is there any way I can automatically delete all mail over a certain age
in one of my folders.

Not automatically.  Filters only operate automatically on the Inbox.

You can create a search folder that uses your folder as a source, and
then you can select all in the search folder and delete them
occasionally.  The search criterion you need is "Received Date" and then
specify a date relative to the current date.

It would be even more useful if on reading I could set its status so
that the auto deletion does not delete flagged mail.

You can exclude the flagged mails from the search.

P.