Re: [Evolution] Inputting foreign German French characters into an email

On Tue, 2011-03-22 at 21:47 +1000, Peter Cave wrote:
Hi

I have installed the relevant dictionaries but cannot find how to enter
the foreign characters into an email.

Windows uses ALT+xxxx where xxxx is a number and the appropriate
character is entered into the text.

I can find no reference in the documentation to determine how foreign
characters are entered.

As Andre said, it's a system wide thing, not Evo specific.  As a hint
you need to use the AltGr Key - for instance AltGr-s produces à and
AltGr-a or A gives à or Ã.  However, I think these symbols are possibly
keyboard layout dependent.

For a more portable way of doing things you should also look at using
the compose key - this key is set in your keyboard preferences (under
layouts and options) - e.g. pressing and holding compose then " then a
gives Ã.  A à is compose-s-s and à is compose-a-e

P.