Re: [Evolution] How to secure Evolution

From: Reid Thompson <Reid Thompson ateb com>
To: evolution-list gnome org
Sent: Mon, 20 June, 2011 16:56:42
Subject: Re: [Evolution] How to secure Evolution

On 06/20/2011 11:48 AM, Pete Biggs wrote:

>> Is there a âPortableâ version of Evolution for instance ?
>
> What do you mean?

i'm guessing he means something along the lines of the portable apps tools
the apps reside on a usb stick.
http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/thunderbird_portable

I suppose he could get a large usb stick and put bootable distro on it and use that as his OS.  would require shutting down and
securing the usb stick somewhere everytime he left the car though.

hmmm -- could just symlink the evo mail directories to a mounted usb stick????
shutdown evo, umount stick, put it in secure location....leave car
return, insert usb stick, restart evo...

Hi :)
I do something similar except in my case it's the data that i DO want shared and used by other people, or at least accessible to them.  I just don't always want to install a gnu&linux on their machine.  I use an 8Gb usb-stick so that i can boot into Ubuntu but use the data that is stored in the Windows folders on the particular machine.

The reverse would probably be to have a dual-boot machine that defaults into booting into Windows but when it boots into Ubuntu then it uses the usb-stick or memory-card as the /home.

To move Windows to the top of the grub2 menu just open a command-line and try this
cd /etc/grub.d
sudo mv 30_os-prober 08_os-prober
sudo update-grub
If people spot the grub menu then they might be able to try booting into Ubuntu but most people wouldn't think of it.  They would assume that you use Windows, as most people do.

Here is a guide on how to move the /home to another partition or even another drive (including usb-sticks and memory-cards).  It also does a bit of explaining about what a /home directory/folder is
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Partitioning/Home/Moving
Basically it contains all config files, normal files and other data.  You could deliberately put some files onto the Windows side if you chose to but by default things things get saved in the /home.

Usb-sticks are easier to carry in a pocket or something than a laptop or even a netbook.  It also leaves an appearance of trusting people when you don't want to push that trust tooo far.
Regards from
Tom :)