[Evolution] csv import not working

I am trying to import a list of (~20) names and email addresses into
evolution using the csv import in 2.32 (gentoo).

Even if I export an existing addressbook into csv and try and import
them, I end up with the same number of "blank" contacts.  If I delete
the blank columns, I can get the names, but no email addresses.  The
spreadsheet is gnumeric and I am exporting as quoted text so it looks
identical to the (also not working) export using
evolution-addressbook-export --format=csv

Is this feature broken? - most of what I can find seems to give up and
import into the likes of thunderbird, export into another format and
then import into evo - madness!

BillK