Re: [Evolution] How to transfer from new Evolution (and new format) to old?

On Thu, 2011-12-01 at 08:24 +0800, Fayer Michael wrote:
I need to transfer all my emails from one laptop (Ubuntu 11.10) to
another (Ubuntu 10.04).

On the 11.10 laptop, Evolution is 3.2.1 with new email format. I forget
the format name when I was asked to convert. The name seems to be ~6
letters long. Hundreds of files are in folder
'/home/xxx/.local/share/evolution/mail/local/cur'. They have similar
names. One of them is '1317082821.2435_1.roro:2,S' with size 9.6 MB.

On the 10.04 laptop, Evo is 2.28.3 which came with Ubuntu and no
settings were changed. So the format should be mbox (?).

        Hi,
it's called Maildir. If you are interested in restore of On This
Computer/... mails only, then get the folder under
   ~/.local/share/evolution/mail/local
and copy it somewhere under your "old" computer, say under
   /tmp/local
Then in Evolution Edit->Preferences->Mail Accounts->Add, select server
type which has in its name "Maildir" and point to
   /tmp/local
finish the assistant and then you should see a new subtree in the folder
tree on the left in the Mail view. There should be your mails, thus just
drag&drop them under On This Computer. I'm  not sure now, but maybe
it'll not read all subfolders, as that format also changed slightly with
compare of 2.28, thus for missing subfolders change the account to point
to a folder which has as subfolders those tmp/new/cur folders. Note the
folders begin with a dot.

Note I call the computer "old", because it's older version of the system
and Evolution itself. Also, as you may notice already, the backup tar.gz
file contains those files too, so you can extract them manually.

I used the menu 'Back up Evolution Data...' in Evo 3.2.1 to create a
'*.tar.gz' file. But Evo 2.28.3 failed to read it using menu 'Restore
Settings...'. The error was 'Please select a valid backup file to
restore'. And I couldn't find other ways to transfer.

It makes sense, I think :)
        Bye,
        Milan