Re: [Evolution] LDIF and CSV import anomaly

From: Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam whitemice org>

On Sun, 2011-04-03 at 14:15 +0100, Onyeibo Oku wrote:
Why is Evolution finding it hard to import my .ldif or .csv files in
one
piece?  I had the fields for those files sorted out in Thunderbird
and
Evolution still drops the name fields.

"name fields"?

You mean FN, N, or NICKNAME ?  I don't see how the import can work at
all if FN is dropped since FN is a required attribute of a vCard.
What is are example FN & N values?

*SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST.  FORGOT TO ADJUST THE MAIL SUBJECT FOR
PROPER DIGEST LISTING*:

This is the header row of the .CSV file:
"ïFirst Name","Last Name","Middle Name","Name","Nickname","E-mail
Address","Home Street","Home City","Home Postal Code","Home State","Home
Country/Region","Home Phone","Home Fax","Mobile Phone","Personal Web
Page","Business Street","Business City","Business Postal Code","Business
State","Business Country/Region","Business Phone","Business
Fax","Pager","Company","Job Title","Department","Office
Location","Notes"

Possibly modifying the values to have an X-EVOLUTION-FILE-AS attribute
would be helpful.

VCARDS import well ... but there's usually one vcard file per contact
and Evolution imports from a single file at a time.  That's a lot of
work for an address book of hundred people++.  I suspect Evolution
expects values/headers in a specific order.  Details of Such
specification or requirement will be of interest.  Then I could create a
python script to reorder the CSV values accordingly.