Re: [Evolution] Evolution becomes more or less unusable / slow / crashes ... HELP

On Wed, 2010-09-15 at 19:36 +1000, Nick Jenkins wrote:
How did you turn off indexes?

Click on mailbox and uncheck "Index text messages". This is written in
French, I don't know the original text in English.

I had the same question (how to turn off indexes). Looks like it's
something that applies to local/"On this computer" mailboxes only ->
under that in the folder tree -> right-click on inbox -> untick "Index
message body data".

Wow, I'd *never* seen that. I don't use local mailboxes much. I guess
you learn something new every day :-)

IMHO, the ability to purge mailboxes should be more visible. Maybe
evolution should warn that a mailbox is full of 90% deleted messages
(which was my case).

Isn't that what the "View -> Hide Deleted Messages" tick box is all
about?

I think Jean-Michel is suggesting something that's arguably a bit
friendlier, perhaps along the lines of this pseudo-code on send/receive:

if( num_trash_msgs >= 1000 && num_trash_msgs / total_msg_count >= 0.6 ) then
    show_dialog( "Your mailbox contains a lot of trash messages that have not been deleted yet. Do you wish
to purge trash messages now?", "Purge", "Cancel", purgeTrashCallback() )
end if

since a significant number of the queries to
this list involve the fact that people don't see deleted messages.

Yep, often this involves thinking that something is deleted when it's
just marked as trash. The above _may_ go some way towards helping
prevent that.

Not unreasonable. Someone should file an RFE suggesting it. In fact
there are several possible conditions:

* High proportion of messages marked for deletion, for mailboxes with
more than some threshold of total messages (i.e. your test).

* Mailbox is approaching a size limit. For local mboxes, 2.32 apparently
will correct this by using 64-bit indexes. For remote mailboxes, IMAP
servers have a soft/hard quota system but I'm not sure how Evo deals
with it currently. No idea about Exchange, Groupwise etc.

* Running low on space on the filesystem where .evolution lives (for
local mailboxes, whether mbox or maildir).

* Old unexpunged messages (currently you can configure automatic
expunging for these, but some people might prefer to be warned).

poc