Re: [Evolution] evolution systray

On Wed, 2010-10-20 at 16:51 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On 10/20/10 11:06 AM, George Reeke wrote:
> Dear colleagues,
> On Tue, 2010-10-19 at 10:32 -0400, Christian wrote:

>>> Note that minimising to system tray (at least by using the standard
>>> minimise or close buttons) is a behaviour rather frowned upon by
>>> GNOME's usability folks, however :)
>>>
>>> Minimise buttons should minimise, and close buttons should close.  If
>>> you want to add a button that does something else, then fine, do that
>>> and call it something else.  But please don't make the minimise or
>>> close buttons do things they're not supposed to...
>>>
>>> Cheeri,
>>> Calum.
>>>
>> An option to set what the close button does (close/minimize) is all it
>> takes. Several programs have that option both on Linux and Windows. If
>> you want to follow the advice of the usability crowd don't enable this
>> option.
>>
>> I'm using alltray and have edited the menu to open Evo in the tray (or
>> is it called notification area these days?) using alltray.
>>
>> Personally I do not not care who frowns of what as long as it works for
>> me! :)
>>
> Why not use Workspace Switcher and leave evolution in a separate
> workspace window?  You can get to it and back with a simple click
> and it's always open but out of the way when not needed.

That's how I set it up under KDE. It has its own virtual desktop.

However, the point that Close closes, Minimize minimizes etc., while
logical is nonetheless questionable IMHO. It's too easy to close some
long-lived apps unintentionally, and closing Evo can be very slow if it
decides to flush a lot of remote cache data. It's also uninterruptible,
so you get to sit twiddling your thumbs till you can restart it.

poc
I certainly see your point but please tell me we're not headed towards incorporating Evo to "Are you sure you want to close me?"

Phil