Re: [Evolution] my ISP and my password

On Mon, 2010-10-18 at 16:06 +1300, Victoria Spagnolo wrote:
First, apologies for asking here, I have searched. Please, let me know
where I should be reading or asking.
I just found out that my ISP stores my password (POP account) as text
and all the support people can see it and can change it.

Just about every modern identity service stores the password as clear
text; this has *numerous* technical advantages.  Lots and lots of people
who will claim they don't - do - they just don't know any better.

Is this normal?

Yes.  I'd say it is *not* normal for the clear-text attribute to be
visible to tech-support / help-desk staff;  that is very abnormal in my
experience.  Most tech-support people are forbidden from even asking you
about your password.

If not, what is and what question do I ask an ISP when deciding which

Don't keep you mail with your ISP.

Option#1 - Use a hosted e-mail service <http://fastmail.fm/>
Option#2 - Get a linnode <http://www.linode.com/> and run an IMAP server
<http://www.cyrusimap.org/> of your own.
--
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam whitemice org> LPIC-1, Novell CLA
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>