Re: [Evolution] how to maintain a list of contacts

On Mon, 2010-11-22 at 10:51 +0100, Milan Crha wrote:
On Mon, 2010-11-22 at 13:39 +1300, Victoria Spagnolo wrote:
The docs have "4.3.3.âCreating a List of Contacts" is there an
explanation of how to maintain a list?
What's happened:
I have a contact list of about 40 which work(ed) fine. Then a member
of the list, person A changed their email address, so I updated their
contact. Later I sent an email to the List and got a bounce on person
A. That means I have to update the Contact List each time an
individual contact is changed. From my perspective that is ... odd and
time consuming. Am I missing something?
I'm sorry, but you are not missing anything, there is not kept any
linkage between individual contact and filled/known contact lists. There
is an enhancement request in bugzilla for this, though the thing seems
to be a bit complicated, from my point of view.

Hmmm, but it is interesting.  I've never looked at how Evo manages lists
before... while I have no idea how it works on the client it certainly
looks like it would be pretty easy to implement 'dynamic' lists on the
server side.

Evo puts a vCard like -

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:3.0
EMAIL;X-EVOLUTION-DEST-CONTACT-UID="http://127.0.0.1:8080/dav/Favorites/Contacts/162750.vcf";X-EVOLUTION-DEST-EMAIL-NUM=1;X-EVOLUTION-DEST-HTML-MAIL=FALSE:"Tol\,
 Robert" <bobtol example com>
EMAIL;X-EVOLUTION-DEST-CONTACT-UID="http://127.0.0.1:8080/dav/Favorites/Contacts/91840.vcf";X-EVOLUTION-DEST-EMAIL-NUM=0;X-EVOLUTION-DEST-HTML-MAIL=FALSE:"Abbott\,
 Glenn" <glenn example com>
X-EVOLUTION-LIST-SHOW_ADDRESSES:FALSE
X-EVOLUTION-LIST:TRUE
N:;yoyuoyo;;;
FN:yoyuoyo
X-EVOLUTION-FILE-AS:yoyuoyo
END:VCARD

Sounds like a fun weekend project [adding Evolution list support to
OpenGroupware Coils].

From the X-EVOLUTION-DEST-CONTACT-UID it at least appears there is some
intent to relate entries back to their sources (although wouldn't a
source name be better / more-durable than a URL?).