Re: [Evolution] what does it mean when there is no "Mailer" in headers

On 11/10/2010 12:16 AM, Victoria Spagnolo wrote:
Just curious. I had a short conversation with a gov employee who had
trouble reading my non top posted comments. I thought I would see what
email client was used, but there is no "Mailer:"

It's not "Mailer:" but "X-Mailer:", which is a clue to your question. Headers beginning with "X-" are optional, not only in that they can be present or not but that they can say anything. The classic example is:

The fact that many MUAs add an "X-Mailer:" header is merely a nice convention. They don't have to do it and they don't even have to tell the truth.

poc