Re: [Evolution] Message Filter vs. Search Folders - Open Discussion

Am Dienstag, den 02.11.2010, 09:33 -0400 schrieb Philippe LeCavalier:
Hi all,

Which is better? I've always used filters to sort my mail into
folders. I detest a convoluted Inbox. However, and mostly recently,
I'm finding it painful to wait the amount of time it takes to filter
all my mail when I open Evo.

Well, what sort of filters are you running? Can you give some examples,
please! Do you filter mail coming in from imap or pop or others?

I get quite a large amount of mail so I don't know whether or not Evo
is at fault with regards to the amount of time it takes. Nonetheless,
I've been wondering lately if it would be more beneficial to migrate
to search folders instead...

- Would it be any faster?

- My understanding of how Search Folders work, Evo leaves all the mail
in the Inbox...How well will Evo handle all that mail in a single
folder(IMAP hosted in the cloud).

Too many mails in a single folder, i.e. in a single file when stored
locally doesn't make too much sense to me.
I would suggest to you to try tagging, labelling your mails and then
move them to different folders. You can freely choose and create new
labels. If you decide to move those mails at a later time, you still got
those labels attached to them.
And then you can use search folders to drill down into those filtered
mails even more. For instance I've got a local mail folder called
"howto" and one called "opensource". Some mails end up in the first,
some in the latter folder. Then I have a search folder which scans all
local mail folders for tags called "howto" and I see mails from both
folders. Works nicely.

I'm also getting a bit frustrated with the shear amount of msg filters
I have. Mostly the managing of. I've filed a bug report(633813) here
regarding the lack of a search tool to facilitate the management for

You can edit the file called filters.xml, which, on my version 2.28, is
in ~/.evolution/mail/. A running Evolution even picks up changes you
make.

--
thomas