Re: [Evolution] Evolution and Gmail

Thanks! I think we can all agree that Evo's support for Gmail isn't
complete. The discussion is whether it should be since Google is
breaking the rules of IMAP. One can dislike how Gmail works, but it's
still a very popular e-mail service which it makes sense to support also
for Evo. Several e-mail clients now have a custom setting for Gmail
(Thundebird) and others detect it's a gmail account and set Trash
according. Finally there's those where you can set a trash folder in the
same way as Drafts and Sent. One of these options would be great to see
in Evo.

What I don't understand with Gmail is the inconsistency - if you delete
a mail in the web interface it is given a label of [Gmail]/Trash and so
appears in the Trash folder, but if you delete the mail through IMAP, it
has all its labels removed and is only visible in All Mail.  Why can't
Gmail just set the correct label on an IMAP delete and then expose that
label within IMAP as the deleted flag.

The really stupid thing is that Gmail is in effect based around virtual
folders and labels - in exactly the same way that Evo does things, but
Gmails implementation of IMAP just gets in the way.

P.